What to Expect
Austin Clubhouse is dedicated to the recovery of adults with serious mental illness by providing opportunities for our members to live, work, and learn, while contributing their talents through a community of mutual support.
People are referred to as “members” instead of clients, patients, or consumers. The Clubhouse focuses on a person’s strengths, versus their diagnosis or their disabilities. Members have equal access to every Clubhouse opportunity with no differentiation based on diagnosis or level of functioning.
At Austin Clubhouse members and staff work together in the running of the clubhouse. Members volunteer their time in various units. It is by working side-by-side that relationships between and among members and staff are developed and it is through these meaningful relationships and meaningful work that members build skills, develop a sense of purpose and re-enter the community as co-workers, neighbors, and friends.
To be eligible for membership, an applicant must:
- Have a mental health diagnosis (schizophrenia, bipolar depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc.)
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be following a treatment plan (psychiatrist, therapist, case worker, etc.)
How do I become a Member?
- Call 512-925-5877 to schedule your tour of the clubhouse Monday-Friday @ 11:00 AM
- After your tour, you will receive a New Member Application Packet and be invited to join us for lunch at noon. Complete the application at your convenience, along with the Referral Form signed by your mental health treatment provider.
- Attend a New Member Orientation any Monday at 3:00 p.m. in the Conference Room at the Clubhouse. You will need to bring your completed application and signed referral form on or before the orientation.
- Finally, we will review your application, talk about your goals and answer any questions you may have.
To be considered for membership, the following documents must be submitted:
- A Clubhouse Membership Application;
- A completed Referral Form, current or updated within last 90 days, signed by an MD and/or Nurse Practitioner
- Supplemental (optional) information: Photo identification, proof of residency, proof of income.
New Member Support Contact:
Jen Cardenas, Staff Generalist
Whether helping out in the kitchen or answering phones, we need your help to make sure that Austin Clubhouse is a center of hope for people with mental illness in our community.
We believe in empowerment so adults living with mental health diagnoses can pursue personal goals and play a meaningful role as co-workers, colleagues, family members and friends.
Engaging in a wellness effort can make a huge difference in the quality of our members’ lives and is an ongoing process of making choices toward a more successful life.
Austin Clubhouse is a club, and it belongs to it’s members who participate in it and who make it come alive. Without the help of members, Austin Clubhouse would not exist. If you think you are interested in joining, please call us at 512-925-5877 to arrange a tour. A member will show you what it is we do at Austin Clubhouse and you can pick up an Austin Clubhouse application form right after the tour.
I felt alone, sinking into my anxiety, and falling back down into depression every time I was by myself for long. It started with the Clubhouse. They gave me a community to be a part of, to not only socialize, but they also accepted me as I was. I belonged. I feel a sense of purpose here, and the Clubhouse is a place for community and friendship. This place turned my life around.
It was very scary...I began to grieve my life and the woman that I was. I tried to manage by myself and it didn't work. For 4 years I struggled by myself trying my best to be normal. The day that it changed is the day I heard about Austin Clubhouse.
New Member FAQ’s
Does membership cost anything?
No. Membership is free, voluntary and without time limits.
I don’t see my psychiatrist for another month, can I still join?
Yes. You will be able to join for a probationary period until you return your completed referral form.
Can I eat lunch at the Clubhouse if I’m not a member yet?
Yes. Your first lunch at the Clubhouse is free and $1 after you become a member.
Do I have to call before I come in to the Clubhouse?
No. Membership is voluntary and open during Clubhouse business hours.
May I bring my family and friends to the Clubhouse?
Yes. Your family and friends are welcome to join you for a tour, lunch, socials or holidays.
Can I get paid for the work that I do at the Clubhouse?
No. The Clubhouse does not provide paid employment to members (Standard #21). Participation at the Clubhouse is voluntary. The work of the Clubhouse is done by staff and members working side-by-side to complete the daily operations of the Clubhouse.