WHAT TO EXPECT
Membership is free, voluntary and lifelong.
Membership is open to any adult in the Austin area with a diagnosed mental health condition, such as major depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder or schizophrenia. There are no membership dues or fees, and as a member you can retain your membership for as long as you like.
If you are an adult with a mental illness diagnosis, we are here to:
- Offer friendship, support, and a place to come
- Offer a range of supported employment and education opportunities
- Help you gain confidence through participating in the work of the clubhouse
- Help you connect into services available throughout the community
- Provide a nutritious and affordable lunch each day we are open
- Offer you peer support through participating in a variety of Clubhouse activities
- Provide you with support for the concurrent disorders of mental illness and addictions
HOW IT WORKS
Members and staff work side-by-side to run the Clubhouse.
Members volunteer their time in various units and find purpose in participating in the meaningful work of the Clubhouse. By working side-by-side with staff, meaningful relationships are developed, and it is through these meaningful relationships and meaningful work that members build skills, develop a sense of purpose and re-enter the community as co-workers, neighbors, and friends.
NEW MEMBER FAQ’S
Does membership cost anything?
No. Membership is free, voluntary and without time limits.
I don’t see my psychiatrist for another month, can I still join?
Yes. You will be able to join for a probationary period until you return your completed referral form.
Can I eat lunch at the Clubhouse if I’m not a member yet?
Yes. Your first lunch at the Clubhouse is free and $1 after you become a member.
Do I have to call before I come in to the Clubhouse?
No. Membership is voluntary and open during Clubhouse business hours.
May I bring my family and friends to the Clubhouse?
Yes. Your family and friends are welcome to join you for a tour, lunch, socials or holidays.
Can I get paid for the work that I do at the Clubhouse?
No. The Clubhouse does not provide paid employment to members (Standard #21). Participation at the Clubhouse is voluntary. The work of the Clubhouse is done by staff and members working side-by-side to complete the daily operations of the Clubhouse.